RE: Best Practices document - not best practices

I think we all agree on most of what is being discussed with some minor
variations of how the 'one web' concept is interpreted. These
variations, however small, are fundamentally important to how successful
the MWI is interpreted by everyone and hence accepted as a best practise
- so I welcome further discussion from those who are still unclear about
the purpose of the 'best practise' initiative.

The ultimate goal is quiet simple and I think Kevin made a very good
point (as you do too Tim!) that I'd like to expand further. A content
author should no longer continue to assume they understand the access
point used by visitors. I accept that most visitors will continue to use
a desktop PC to access the web with few using PDAs and even fewer using
smaller screens such as mobile phones - and this won't change for quiet
some time to come (I specifically use the term phone because 'device'
covers PDAs). However this will change over time with more people
accessing the web using smaller screens like mobile phones, and the MWI
BP is looking to provide guidance on how to reach the full potential of
the Web by demonstrating how to author Web content in the best possible
way for optimum performance on small screens - not just for mobile
phones, although this is the primary focus. There are some limitations
and these are covered below.

In order for a content author to make no assumptions about the access
point, they almost have to assume visitors could use any access point.
Therefore web pages should be authored in a way that makes it possible
to establish the access point and then render the content accordingly,
as best it can given the 'current' limitations of browsers, devices,
content authoring tools and markup languages. Where there are technical
limitations to creating 'one website' or where a specific 'small screen'
user experience is absolutely necessary, content adaptation of some kind
will be expected, permissible and encouraged. Content adaptation will be
required for some time to come, there's no escaping that fact, but this
it is the last resort and will only be permissible when looking to
receive a trustmark for the reasons outlined above.

In a perfect (one Web) world, content adaptation service providers would
not be needed and would therefore not exist, but they are needed, they
do exist and they add fantastic value :)

To put it another way; until vendors produce more user friendly mobile
devices, until browsers on mobile devices mature like they have for
better accessibility via a PC and until Operators agree to permit
Vendors to include hotkeys and shortcuts etc. for a better user
experience, the MWI will provide flexibility so that adaptation is
accepted where necessary but not encouraged.

Too many people are looking at the MWI from the wrong angle. This is a
Web driven initiative embracing the expertise of the Mobile industry
with a mission of increasing access to the Web via as many access points
as possible. This is not a Mobile industry initiative in the hope of
providing a specific mobile user experience. NB. Even if providing a new
specific mobile experience is better than what you get today, this will
not be permissible where it's possible to author one solution to fit
all, if seeking the MWI trustmark.

Ideally, (and this is not in contrast to your comment Tim but my
interpretation of the word) content should not require optimisation in
order to render properly on each access point. Web content should be
optimally authored so it does this job properly with some optimisation
via content adaptation where absolutely necessary as explained above.

Kind regards,
Paul

Principal Director
19 The Mall / Beacon Court