Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

Hi Paul/Barbara, This is my first post so please let me know if there is
a particular etiquette I should follow.  I'm only knowledgable about Web
site development and I know that working groups often address both the
needs of Web site development and device/software development. But I
thought I would share my point of view if it helps.

I like Paul's statement regarding 'one web', I'm attempting to redevelop
my personal Web site to meet all platforms all devices.  The basic
design  is proving to take a lot of time but I'm attempting to use W3C
CSS 2.0 for all the design and layout W3C XHTML 1.0 strict (I may have
to reduce this) and W3C WAIG 1.0. I would ultimately like one source
code to fit all devices desktops/PDA/cell phone/other screen-readers.
So far I have found that mastering CSS 2.0 for design/layout is going to
be very important to the 'one web' design.

Years ago I  read the book "Interface Culture; How New Technology
Transforms The Way We Create And Communicate" by Steven Johnson. c1997.
It was difficult reading but one of the concepts I got from the book was
the idea of  how Web sites should take advantage of hyperlinks in such a
way that the initial read of a page would be brief but additional levels
or tracks of detail/interest is reached through hyperlinks (e.g. layers
of content). I think this concept is key in developing content for a
variety of displays - especially cell phones.

Barbara's comments hit a little closer to the realities in commercial
development. At work I have developed for PC/PDA combinations that
really looked better on the PDA and PDA/Cell phone combination that
doesn't look good anywhere and contains a very simple inteface. But
these are interactive applications developed under time constraints -
and in the current professional environment creating a 'one web' may be
more time consuming than developing alternate shells for content.

I'm sure that this has already been mentioned before, I'm sure I read it
on a W3C Web page, but I think promoting the separation of content from
display is important. First content has to be developed to take the best
advantages that XHTML has to offer giving the user the option of
determining the depth of their access to content and then design/layout
developed for 'one web' display. Highly structured content will also be
important in organizing the content in a logical/consistent order so
users become familair with content navigation (assuming content is
layered) as people learned Web site navigation needed to be consistent
on all pages.

Tamara Taylor