Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

From: Daniel Barclay <daniel@fgm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:26:22 -0400
To: Barbara Ballard <barbara@littlespringsdesign.com>
CC: public-bpwg@w3.org

Barbara Ballard wrote:
>> I think you missed my point:  It's a bit contradictory (hypocritical?)
>> for a page about best practices for the mobile web to not follow best
>> practices for the regular web.
> If the document is written for mobile web, then best practices for  the
> regular web are irrelevant.

The document _about_ the mobile web is _presented_ on the regular web.

Although good practices for the regular web may be irrelevent to the
_content_ of the document, they are certainly relevant to the
_presentation_ of the document.

Not bothering to understand and follow good practices for the regular
web in the presentation of that document certainly does not instill
confidence in the content.

 > In fact, best practices for the  regular
> web can greatly interfere with the experience on the mobile web.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you're referring to common
practices that I'd argue aren't good practices (e.g., pages or
text documents that have widths tied to fixed-width elements).