RE: URLs and access issues

Marcus,

I'll reply on Ray's behalf - I hope he won't mind!

I can understand that his email "twinged your geek pride" (!), but that
is part of the point Ray is making:

You need to be a bit of a geek in order to be able to create a site on
one URL that can handle i-mode phones and PC browsers.
OK it is not rocket science in the grand scheme of things, but even this
is beyond the abilities of many, and still requires that a 'database'
(of some description) of i-mode user agents needs to be employed and
maintained.

In Japan you are 'lucky' that DoCoMo has such a monopoly and always
identifies its devices sensibly via the user-agent.
This isn't the case here in Europe, and of course doesn't deal with
visitors, tourists, travellers etc. who would be using their non-DoCoMo
devices.

So for many, using two URLs is just technically easier (not better!).

As you say, in Japan it may now also serve as a way to help manage the
user's expectations of what they will see when they get to the site.

In my view this is better done on the site itself (e.g. user chooses
"Show me the web/mobile version") rather than by having to use different
URLs.

If you were to write down or bookmark the 'wrong' URL, or pass it on to
a friend for example, without the feature above, then there's no easy
way to get to other versions of the site.

Tim Moss
CTO
Bango

e: tim@bango.com
m: +44 78 8779 4032
w: http://www.bango.com <http://www.bango.com/>

Mobile Content World 2005
"Come and see us on stand 14 at MCW 2005
Olympia Conference Centre, London, UK
13th - 15th September 2005"
www.mobilecontentworld.biz <http://www.mobilecontentworld.biz/>