RE: Best Practices document - not best practices

I was quite literally talking about visual design, rather than site
structure which are two different but relevant aspects of 'design' in
this context.

There seemed to be an implication that one could just 'drop' or not
display all the "redundant branding and navigation information" and then
the site would magically be ok on a mobile device.

Even if "just" this could be simply achieved what I'm saying is that the
end result would be pretty horrible, many companies spend a lot of time
and effort getting their site (rightly or wrongly) to look right.
They are not going to follow best practice guidelines that throw all of
this effort away.

When I said
"However, in recent years where digital media has been embraced by the
artistic community, there are many examples of sites where the
style/design *is* the content."

I was talking about websites that have been produced by the
artistic/creative community, that have no "information" on them; the
website itself is a piece of electronic/digital art. (thats what I meant
a bit later by 'particular art form' - art doesn't have to live on the
wall of a gallery!)

If we we to drop all the 'design' and "redundant branding and
navigation" then with these sites you'd be left with a blank page, so
the mobile experience would be pretty poor.

This is an extreme example, but illustrates the fact that the layout of
the site can add to the user's understanding of it; a site may convey
more information that just the text on the page.

Going back to Google as an example, google (and surely they know best
what works for them) felt that, as clean and simple their website is, it
is still too complicated for a mobile device, and have given us an
alternative that works better on a mobile.  (OK they shouldn't have put
it on a different URL, but then they haven't yet got any Best Practices
to tell them not to!)

You've mentioned several times that the MWI is not about adapting
content specifically for mobile devices.
One of us must be misunderstanding something.

For example, the BPWG Charter [1] states:
The guidelines produced by the MWBP Working Group are intended to enable
content to be seamlessly adapted across a range of device form factors.
the DDWG Charter [2] states:
The mission of the MWI Device Description Working Group (DDWG) is to
enable the development of globally accessible, sustainable data and
services that provide device description information applicable to
content adaptation.
the DDWG homepage [5] states:
The objective of the Mobile Web Initiative is to enable access to the
Web from mobile devices. It is envisaged that this will typically
require adaptation of Web content, which relies on device knowledge.
The recent BPWG working draft [2] says:
This document specifies best practices to ensure an *optimal* user
experience for people accessing the Web with mobile devices.
which in practice is very unlikely to be achieved without adaptation.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/01/BPWGCharter/Overview.html
<http://www.w3.org/2005/01/BPWGCharter/Overview.html>
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/01/DDWGCharter/
<http://www.w3.org/2005/01/DDWGCharter/>
[3] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/ <http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/>
[4] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/Drafts/MOK/050727
<http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/Drafts/MOK/050727>
<http://www.w3.org/2005/01/BPWGCharter/Overview.html>
<http://www.w3.org/2005/01/DDWGCharter/>
<http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/>

Tim Moss
CTO
Bango

e: tim@bango.com
m: +44 78 8779 4032
t: +44 12 2347 2823
w: http://www.bango.com <http://www.bango.com/>

Mobile Content World 2005
"Come and see us on stand 14 at MCW 2005
Olympia Conference Centre, London, UK
13th - 15th September 2005"
www.mobilecontentworld.biz <http://www.mobilecontentworld.biz/>