RE: Best Practices document - not best practices

always busy;  and the list had gone a bit quiet so wanted to check I was
still subscribed!

The "One Web" concept has indeed, as you say, been the goal of the W3C
for some time - but as far as I can tell its not defined in writing
anywhere what that concept is, as such it is open to interpretation, so
I don't believe for a moment that we all agree on how the "One Web"
concept is interpreted

Even if we did all agree, should trying to achieve the ultimate goal and
fantastic ideal of "One Web", totally dominate the initial activities of
the MWI?

All of the MWI activities should definitely be steps towards "One Web"
rather than away from it, but a concern of mine is that the mobile
industry will continue to forge ahead at the explosive rate it is doing
so at the moment and that before very long usage of the current "Mobile
Web" (i.e. sites designed specifically for mobiles), will outstrip usage
of the current "Web" (i.e. the web of sites designed for PCs) leaving
the efforts of the MWI in the meantime largely unnoticed, and the divide
between the webs ever widening.

Don't get me wrong I've very much in favour of the "One Web" concept as
I understand it, but I firmly believe that, as in Tim Berners-Lee's own
words, mobile users should be treated as "first class citizens fo the
Web".

I don't think that concentrating solely on making existing Web sites
more accessible by mobile devices is enough.  That is immediately
treating existing "Mobile Web" sites as inferior, less important, and
second class.

There are already over 1.5 billion mobile device users, (and this number
is still growing), and a rapidly increasing proportion of these devices
can connect to the Internet.

Are all of these users really going to wait for the existing Web to
become accessible and usable, or will they continue to demand and
consume the mobile specific content that is already available?
Furthermore, will they not expect that mobile specific content to become
richer, and probably more specific to their mobile devices, as the
capabilities of mobile devices continue to accelerate and diversify?

The "Mobile Web" as I've defined it above is, in my opinion, evolving
more rapidly than the Web, as the latter has matured and standardised
much more, but has also gained a lot more 'inertia' in the process.
As a result I believe that it may be easier for the MWI to guide the
"Mobile Web" towards the Web with an aim of convergence into "One Web",
than vice versa.

In the few years since its birth, Content Providers for the current
"Mobile Web" are already dealing, by necessity, with the issues raised
by their content being accessed by multiple devices of varying sizes and
capabilities, with multiple browser types, and multimodal possibilities.

The 'traditional' Web still hasn't managed after a greater number of
years to get its sites working well on just two different browsers (IE
and the Mozilla browsers)!

Maybe a two-pronged pincer-movement attack would be more sensible;
couldn't the Best Practices Working Group recommend practices for those
building web sites wanting to make them more accessible/usable by mobile
users, and at the same time recommend practices for those building
mobile specific sites in order to make them more accessible/usable by
'immobile' users?

Whilst trying to find a W3C definition of "One Web", one of the first
sites I found [1] indicates that others share similar views to those
above.  However, don't believe everything you read on the Internet
though! ;-)

Without the support of the user community and the mobile content
industry, the MWI may flounder.  So it is extremely important to get
both of these groups on-board, whereas current activities seem to focus
very much on the 'traditional' Web.

I feel strongly that agreement on how the "One Web" goal might be
reached needs to be reached quickly by the people driving the MWI and
its working groups, as I think otherwise the MWI potentially risks at
worst  failure before it really gets started, or at least a lot of
unnecessary time and pain trying to reconcile the efforts of those
who've gone off on slighly divergent paths, due to lack of clear,
agreed, direction at the start of the journey.

[1] http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008461.html
<BLOCKED::http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008461.html>

Tim Moss
CTO
Bango

e: tim@bango.com
m: +44 78 8779 4032
t: +44 12 2347 2823
w: http://www.bango.com <http://www.bango.com/>

Mobile Content World 2005
"Come and see us on stand 14 at MCW 2005
Olympia Conference Centre, London, UK
13th - 15th September 2005"
www.mobilecontentworld.biz <http://www.mobilecontentworld.biz/>