RE: Linking to alternate resources

We're aware of the possible use of POWDER but made the decision that using it would be a later phase of work, given that it can't be used today.

The question about "does the link point to the Web page itself" is I think fraught with difficulties. If I multiserve from example.com then both my handheld and my desktop links both point to the same place. And also if I have redirection then is it the location: header that counts or is it the originally requested URI. And if I have an arrangement that has example.com?experience=handheld and example.com?experience=desktop are obviously different but can this be generalised into a rule about syntactic equivalence and whether or not URI queries and fragments count in such a determination?

I don't disagree that this can be a useful heuristic, I just don't really know how one can write it down in a way that makes the written text informative, useful and not just plain wrong in a lot of cases. (Other than to say if it's a .mobi domain then it's required to be useful for mobile, of course)

Jo