Re: Mandating respect of some heuristics?

On 1 Dec 2008, at 10:13, Francois Daoust wrote:

>> Possibly spanners re inferring mobility and therefore "do not
>> transform" from a text/vnd.wap.wml content-type:
>> 1. Whilst WML content-types are 99.999% mobile, I do know that Sky
>> in the UK used WML to deliver third-party content for their
>> interactive TV service. I don't know if others have done the same:
>> taking WML and using it in other contexts beyond mobile. I'd
>> (personally) be happy to assume WML = mobile.
> "interactive TV" still fits my definition of "mobile", but I suppose
> one may argue.

If it's considered a subset, then perhaps we're covered. My real worry
is that this may not be the only place where WML has been pressed into
service. Anyone know of any others?

>> 2. Do all mobile devices support WML? If not thenis there a
>> potential role for transcoders to play here, bringing WML content
>> to mobile devices not capable of rendering it?
> I am a bit skeptical that there exists such a need. I think most of
> the mobile developers who authored WML content now also author XHTML-
> like content, or are at least aware of mobile devices that do not
> support WML.

That's my experience of the industry round here (UK). Is it the case
globally? I'm not sure (either positively or negatively).

--
Future Platforms Ltd
e: Tom.Hume@futureplatforms.com