Re: [CTG] Draft 2008-11-07 / http-equiv / WML

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> Hi Francois,
>
> I have a general problem on this position of expecting to solve a
> problem based on something that in reality not exists (e.g. POWDER,
> etc.). Time and again I see this spec referring to such things as the
> way to go but no effort on moving new requirements in tandem with the
> specification.

I apologize if I gave the feeling that we were pretending to solve the
generic case by referring to things that do not even exist. The reason
we have this "Scope for future Work" section is to potentially trigger
new efforts that we cannot do by ourselves within this group. These
efforts may or may not be worked upon at all, and other ways to go may
appear. I mentioned POWDER to illustrate the fact that we think
introducing extensions to the Cache-Control directive is not a good idea
to address the issue.

> I have not personally faced this WML issues mostly because we are a
> white-listed site in the UK which is our main territory. You are correct
> that mobile is moving towards XHTML-MP and such, but for applications
> with a world-wide reach you have to take into account the fact that the
> adoption rate of new devices on different countries varies largely from
> one country to another. Even in the UK we see old devices still around
> and here the average upgrade time is 18 months. But this is just an
> average.

I do see content transformation as a way to make HTML content accessible
to WML browsers. My question is whether transcoding from WML to WML is a
real use case. Do others know about it?

> I think that the issue with WML is just an expression of a more
> fundamental issue which has to do with the interaction of your
> recommendation with different technologies that may be involved on the
> pipeline. No-transform is a very wide and encompassing directive that
> can be interpreted by many components. The spec at this point assumes
> that the only components on the pipeline are transcoders (of course the
> document does not say so, but as there are no analysis of the
> interactions with other components, that is the result).

Do you have other examples of different technologies that would be
affected by the directive?

The reason I am asking this it that the RFC HTTP, section 14.9.5, on the
no-transform directive explicitly refers to "intermediate cache or
proxy", terms defined in section 1.3 Terminology. In particular, a
strict reading of the RFC entails that the directive does not apply to
gateways. This is the reason why some people say that it is a bug when
WAP gateways follow this directive. Now the distinction between "proxy"
and "gateway" is not always that clear, so it is an important case we
must take into account. Are you aware of other cases?

I see one annoying and important drawback of this directive, in that it
indeed prevents content compression, which is of much importance in
mobile networks. That does not break things in non WAP1.x networks, but
that is still a problem (Again, it is probably done by "gateways" rather
than "proxies" in practice).

> As I have mentioned in several discussions, even for requests not
> originating from browsers the current transcoders do not act on a
> transparent way. Even as white-listed, we had to make changes to our
> application to make the gateway leave our traffic alone. The transcoders
> will change headers, re-encode the data stream and all kinds of things
> even though we are sending no-transforme; in particular Novarra.

The addition of the directive to the guidelines is fairly recent, and
the guidelines are still a draft, so it is a bit early to talk about
implementations. Sure enough, you might say it was defined in the RFC
HTTP all that time.

> Anyway, back to the point, if you are to use no-transform as your
> mechanism, then you need to add a whole chapter discussing what the
> consequences are with respect to other components on the pipeline and
> how they should be overcome. Otherwise it is impossible for people to
> understand and comment on the spec with a full picture in mind.

OK. We will consider it.

Thanks,
Francois.