5.3.7 background image support

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:08:11 -0500
To: public-bpwg-comments@w3.org

Section 5.3.7 states:

[BACKGROUND_IMAGE_SUPPORT] Do not use background images unless you know
the device supports them. (Normative)

I don't see any reasoning in the document to justify this one, and I
can't think of any myself. Won;t a device that doesn't support
background images simply ignore them without any detrimental effects? I
can;t think of any examples in practice where the background image was a
critical part of the content. This feels like it would degrade gracefully.

At a minimum, I would ask that this normative rule be explained more.
But if there's no good explanation for this, then this rule could simply
be dropped.