Re: RDF Concepts and fragids

Jonathan Rees wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>> Hmm, I read that differently, "a URI Reference in an RDF Graph", it doesn't
>> speak of URIs used outwith of RDF (as in, it doesn't try to say they are or
>> are not meaningless, just that you don't know the meaning in RDF), and when
>> one does use such URIs in RDF, surely the URI collision comes in to play,
>> such that one would write (in RDF):
>>
>>  <http://example/doc#foo> a :HTMLElement .
>
> Right or wrong, the *ideal* is that a URI means the same thing in
> webarch as in RDF. For an RDF spec to suggest otherwise is a violation
> of webarch (as I understand it). And RDF is supposed to be the poster
> child for webarch. The RDF just puts a bit of formal dressing on top
> of what we already want to say; that dressing has to be consistent
> with preexisting meaning - it can't modify or transform or "formalize"
> it.

So which specifications give a fragment identifier preexisting meaning?
There's HTML which is the key contender I guess, so if we look at the
in-development specification:
[[
Fragment identifiers used with text/html resources refer to the
indicated part of the document.
]] -> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#text-html

where "the indicated part of the document" is:
[[
For HTML documents (and HTML MIME types), the following processing model
must be followed to determine what the indicated part of the document is.

Parse the URL, and let fragid be the <fragment> component of the URL.

If fragid is the empty string, then the indicated part of the document
is the top of the document; stop the algorithm here.

Let decoded fragid be the result of expanding any sequences of
percent-encoded octets in fragid that are valid UTF-8 sequences into
Unicode characters as defined by UTF-8. If any percent-encoded octets in
that string are not valid UTF-8 sequences, then skip this step and the
next one.

If this step was not skipped and there is an element in the DOM that has
an ID exactly equal to decoded fragid, then the first such element in
tree order is the indicated part of the document; stop the algorithm here.

If there is an a element in the DOM that has a name attribute whose
value is exactly equal to fragid (not decoded fragid), then the first
such element in tree order is the indicated part of the document; stop
the algorithm here.

If fragid is an ASCII case-insensitive match for the string top, then
the indicated part of the document is the top of the document; stop the
algorithm here.

Otherwise, there is no indicated part of the document.
]] ->
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-indicated-part-of-the-document

so what would the meaning of "the top of the document" be? or "no
indicated part of the document"? or "the first such element in tree
order is the indicated part of the document" when there are several
bearing the same ID, and what is the meaning of an "element" in this case:
in this case?
in this case?
when the element was added with document.write by a script and given an
as the page loads?

To me it doesn't even feel like HTML gives any meaning to fragment
identifiers at all, rather that browsers simply use them to know which
portion of a document to pull in to view. The only case I personally see
as different, is when an /author/ explicitly gives a section of a
document or a paragraph of text and id, to refer to that section or
paragraph, but that really doesn't seem like they mean "the HTML
element" at all.

Perhaps it's worth swapping out HTML from the conversation for a while
and replacing it with something like text/plain and
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5147 ?

Best,

Nathan