Re: HTTPbis and GET+303

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Jonathan Rees writes:
>
> > The main problem I see is "A 303 response to a GET request indicates
> > that the requested resource does not have a representation of its own
> > that can be transferred by the server over HTTP." which directly
> > contradicts the httpRange-14 resolution.
>
> Doesn't contradict it as far as I can tell. Â It would perhaps be
> better if it said "the server does not have a representation for the
> requested resource that can be transferred. . .", but that doesn't
> change the condition, just makes its server-depenence clearer.

It implies that all resources are the sorts of things that *can* "have
representations of their own". And if resource means *anything*, then there
is a contradiction because there are things for which it makes no sense that
*they* can possibly have anything about *themselves* that have to do with
representations. Like potatoes.

-Alan