Re: HTTPbis and GET+303

On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> Jonathan Rees writes:
>
>> The main problem I see is "A 303 response to a GET request indicates
>> that the requested resource does not have a representation of its own
>> that can be transferred by the server over HTTP." which directly
>> contradicts the httpRange-14 resolution.
>
> Doesn't contradict it as far as I can tell. Â It would perhaps be
> better if it said "the server does not have a representation for the
> requested resource that can be transferred. . .", but that doesn't
> change the condition, just makes its server-depenence clearer.

Um, if I may interject, one must first decide what is meant by "the
requested resource". In the case where a URI denotes something that
cannot be interfaced to a network, like a potato for example, then
there are two 'things' associated with this URI: what it denotes, and
the network thing that it resolves to, and which is responsible for
emitting an HTTP response. In the case in question, of direct
relevance to http-range-14, these cannot possibly be the same. So
which of them is the requested resource? I raised this issue on the
http mailing list, and got several very different replies. Until this
is clarified, all debates about wording are moot. If the 'requested
resource" is the thing denoted, then the above wording is technically
correct, even if possibly misleading, since in this case the server
cannot *possibly* have a representation of the requested resource.

Pat