Re: Are generic resources intentional?

On 16/6/09 21:01, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> On 2009-06 -16, at 12:28, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jonathan
>> Rees<jar@creativecommons.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> How about if we call it "phlogiston" then.
>>
>> I think I understand how this works now: The puzzle is, if all of an
>> IR's essential characteristics can be conveyed in a message, then how
>> can two IRs differ in any way other than in their representations?
>>
>> Well, to induce the puzzle, you need two assumptions:
>> (1) that the message in question (the converyor) is one of the IR's
>> representations, as opposed to some other message,
>> (2) that a characteristic informative enough to differentiate IRs
>> having the same representations - "phlogiston" - must be an essential
>> one.
>
> Is this a counter example: Two different IRs where the representation
> you get is identical:
>
> A version:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-wsc-ui-20090226/
>
> The latest version:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wsc-ui/

Not sure, but related example that helped with FOAF:

Consider two zero-byte files, written by different tools and users on
different days. They have the same sha1. This was helpful when thinking
through some of the difficulties with saying that foaf:sha1 was
OWL:InverseFunctionalProperty, and the different notions of document
hidden inside the foaf:Document class.

cheers,

Dan