Re: Are generic resources intentional?

On 2009-06 -16, at 12:28, Jonathan Rees wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jonathan Rees<jar@creativecommons.org
> > wrote:
>> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I think I may understand phlogiston better than "intent" :) so I'm
>>> not
>>> very hot on trying to capture "intent".  I'll get to an alternate
>>> suggestion in a moment, but first a brief recap.
>>
>> How about if we call it "phlogiston" then.
>
> I think I understand how this works now: The puzzle is, if all of an
> IR's essential characteristics can be conveyed in a message, then how
> can two IRs differ in any way other than in their representations?
>
> Well, to induce the puzzle, you need two assumptions:
> (1) that the message in question (the converyor) is one of the IR's
> representations, as opposed to some other message,
> (2) that a characteristic informative enough to differentiate IRs
> having the same representations - "phlogiston" - must be an essential
> one.

Is this a counter example:  Two different IRs where the representation
you get is identical:

A version:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-wsc-ui-20090226/

The latest version:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wsc-ui/

> Relax either assumption, and now Tim's definition of generic resource
> becomes consistent with AWWW's definition of information resource.

Good.

> For example, in the time sheet example, the difference between the two
> resources - namely, whose time sheet it is - might not be an essential
> characteristic.

I don't thing that drilling into the English word "essential" is
useful any further.
The essence of a document is its content.

> Important, perhaps; interesting, perhaps;
> consequential, perhaps; but not essential.
>
> Or else the fact of ownership can be conveyed in some message
> unrelated to the time sheet's representations. This seems less likely
> to me.

It happens -- we often for example attach a bunch of diagrams to a
message,
and the significance of them is only conveyed in the cover note.
"Here are my timesheets -- can you sign them?"
The timesheet gets a cid: URI in the email as an attachent.
Another person's timesheet could be identical.