Re: Attempting to achieve consensus re. wwwivi issue (#223)

That in a nutshell is the problem we have - OEMs will make their own
choices. We have not convinced enough to drink the standards kool-aid.
The main reason for standards here is to have something developers can
follow, across the different manufacturers. Content providers don't
want to port their app to 20+ different platforms and this lack of
consistency is holding the industry back. Our job is to create
something reasonable for an OEM or Tier 1 to implement and for a
developer to follow. If we achieve that, maybe more OEMs will see the
light.

Discovery has its drawbacks and until we figure those out, I think the
best course is an acceptable static hostname. We should solve the
broader use cases covered by discovery and may need to before going to
CR. An alternative may be provisioning of applications in the OEM
marketplaces. That leaves the developers free of needing to customize
per OEM and the reality Peter refers to. It may not solve an
application mixing and matching multiple VISS services nor a device
(smartphone or tablet) permitted to connect to the vehicle's LAN which
leads itself to discovery.

I asked for a meeting on Tuesday at W3C to inquire about a w3.org
hostname and advice on moving forward.

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team