Re: Filtering of enumerateDevices() results

On 5/19/15 10:29 AM, Joe Berkovitz wrote:
> 2. How would the WG feel about including more "filtered" information
> in the MediaDeviceInfos returned by enumerateDevices(), other than the
> device label

I'm going to take a stab at guessing that the original intent with
'label' was for web-devs to look up the info they care about themselves.

E.g. label == " Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920" -> look in table of what I
care about scraped from
http://wiki.oz9aec.net/index.php/Logitech_HD_Pro_Webcam_C920

I.e. an end-run around workgroups and browsers having to formalize every
spec sheet known to humankind.

I should say I see evidence this isn't always working so well, e.g.
android phones seem to give nonsense labels like "Camera front", and I
see a lot of microphones called "Built-in microphone" or "".

How about a compromise like 'modelNumber', or maybe come up with better
rules for label?

Also from a practical standpoint, not every platform is chock full of
info here. OSX for example seems surprisingly tight-lipped about its
hardware.

.: Jan-Ivar :.