Re: Market Development for "Web MIDI"

Hi, Tom–

On 4/18/15 8:06 PM, Tom White (MMA) wrote:

> It sounds like you are saying no one needs to control the logo
> if MMA is not testing aps for compatibility... but I think that
> might be an oversimplification.
>
> One way MMA makes sure that all MIDI stuff works together is by
> NOT just letting people put MIDI Logos on stuff without any sort
> of supervision <grin>... that does not mean we need to test web
> apps, but it could mean we establish some rules for using the Web
> MIDI logo and ask people to agree to the rules before they use
> the logo, so everyone is using it the same way and for the same
> thing... Would that be a problem?

You're probably right that MIDI needs to do that, because a manufacturer
(hardware or software) might otherwise make something that is incompatible.

I think the situation with WebMIDI apps will be different, however,
because if the app doesn't use the API correctly, it simply won't work
in browsers, and won't be able to connect to MIDI devices.

The way we can ensure this is by having extensive test suites that help
the browsers conform to the specification.

So, I have no objection if MMA wants to exert some control over the logo
and how it's used, but my experience with web technology logos is that
they work rather differently.

Regards–
–Doug