Re: TAG feedback on Web Audio

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:12:37 -0400
To: Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian <srikumarks@gmail.com>
CC: robert@ocallahan.org, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>, "K. Gadd" <kg@luminance.org>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 8/8/2013 12:04 AM, Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian wrote:
> You're right that I'm not measuring what you suggested we measure. I read your above paragraph to mean that you intended to measure something close to the*upper*  bound on copying performance.

It's been suggested elsewhere that we not pursue this too much on this
thread, but yes exactly: I'm proposing that one measure the bound on
performance because that directly gives you the minimum overhead that the
copies will introduce. If that's unacceptable, then you can stop right
there. If context switching is causing problems then you'll want to try to
process data in large chunks per switch, regardless of whether copying is
also acceptable or not.

Anyway, I suggest we put this down. I had raise the issue, but elsewhere
it's claimed that for the audio case in particular the analysis has already
been done sufficiently well. Assuming that's true, I don't want to tie up
this thread.

Noah