Re: About AudioPannerNode

I'm pretty late responding to this, but I would recommend ONLY supporting
developer-supplied HRTFs.

>From experience, doing good, convincing 3d audio with HRTFs is not as easy
or obvious as many research papers might lead you to believe.
I know of only one vendor (http://smyth-research.com/index.html) selling a
product that provides truly convincing HRTF-based processing.
Most implementations have poor externalization, not to mention the usual
font-back and height confusions.

As a result, a normative HRTF implementation will most likely end up being
a mediocre implementation.

But since it will be standardized, there is a big risk it will permanently
kill innovation in 3d audio for WebAudio.

It is guaranteed to do this if there is no support for developer-supplied
HRTFs.

On the other hand, if developer-supplied HRTFs are supported, it is no big
deal for a developer to use one of the free HRTF sets
that might have been the basis for the normative HRTF.

Sincerely,
   Frederick