Re: channel layouts and up/down mixing

On 13-01-15 5:21 PM, Ralph Giles wrote:

> But when are the downmix matricies used? There's no clear reference to
> them other than "for playback". Some more clarity would be useful here.

In anwser to my own question, a number of nodes are defined to accept
only mono or mono/stereo inputs, so any multichannel inputs connected to
these nodes would be downmixed. Or upmixed, summed, and downmixed, if
there are multiple inputs with different channel counts.

A number of these look like attempts to limit initial implementation
complexity, which means their behaviour would change if these
restrictions are ever relaxed.

 -r