Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:55:42 +1200
To: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
Cc: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, Kevin Gadd <kevin.gadd@gmail.com>, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>, Chris Lowis <chris.lowis@bbc.co.uk>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

> I agree with most of this, especially the part about "limiting the scope
> of compatibility-affecting changes for the unprefixed AudioContext to those
> that are either trivial or essential".  The "races" issue for AudioBuffers
> I do not agree with.  We can't be in a situation where we're
> copying-data/duplicating/neutering large PCM data buffers each time we play
> a sound.  These buffers are often quite large, and it's common to
> re-trigger the same sound (from the same buffer) rapidly in succession for
> game sound effects, synthesizers, etc.

We're not neutering AudioBuffers --- you can use them over and over again
without copying. We're neutering the ArrayBuffers used to create the
AudioBuffers.

Jtehsauts tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy Mdaon yhoaus eanuttehrotraiitny eovni le
atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o Whhei csha iids teoa
stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d 'mYaonu,r "sGients uapr,e tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm
aotr atnod sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t" uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n? gBoutt uIp waanndt
wyeonut thoo mken.o w