Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> Over the years I've become less patient with holding out to fix the Web
>> while other vendors profit from forging ahead. In many cases, holding out
>> didn't make much difference in the end.
>>

> Hmm.  An impressively cynical statement, and I am a master cynic.
>
> Look, I'm suggesting that we work together to correct this "profit" (i.e.,
> remove it from our implementation, and work together on evangelism); that's
> not been the modus operandi for many of the cases you're implicitly
> referring to above, I think.

One parallel that springs mind is when Google and Mozilla agreed to support
VP8 and not H264 on the Web. Mozilla did just that, while Chrome shipped
both and promised to remove H264 at a later date. We know how that turned
out.

>> Just for kicks I Googled for "Web Audio demo", visited the first page,
>> and picked one random demo link:
>> http://webaudiodemos.appspot.com/midi-synth/index.html
>> function initAudio() {
>>   try {
>>     audioContext = new webkitAudioContext();
>>   }
>>   catch(e) {
>>     alert('Web Audio API is not supported in this browser');
>>   }
>> Honestly, the very first thing I tried. Not encouraging.
>>

> Yes.  I am a horrible coder, and I have a lot of side projects.  But maybe
> point at something not done by me, and not written a year ago, before you
> started your implementation. :)  (and last I checked, oscillators still
> weren't there in firefox - please tell me I'm mistaken? - which kills the
> synth completely anyway.)  Ehsan's submitted a PR or two that I've merged
> in those demos, and I would nothing more to get them all working.  Being in
> the middle of a major relocation (I'm literally writing this from a hotel
> room mid-way between Seattle and Mountain View) has been a bit distracting.

I'm not picking on you. This is just an example of "written a year ago"
code that is going to cause problems for us.

(I am a little disappointed in the text of the error message. Even when you
wrote this, it must have been clear that in the future there might be
browsers supporting Web Audio but not webkitAudioContext.)

I WILL get all my samples converted, and all the HTML5Rocks pages fixed,
> and yes, my goal is to get all that done well before you intend to ship.

Since our Nightly builds have Web Audio enabled, and in a week our Aurora
channel builds will too, the sooner the better.

Thanks,
Jtehsauts tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy Mdaon yhoaus eanuttehrotraiitny eovni le
atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o Whhei csha iids teoa
stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d 'mYaonu,r "sGients uapr,e tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm
aotr atnod sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t" uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n? gBoutt uIp waanndt
wyeonut thoo mken.o w