Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> On 6/17/13 11:09 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com
>> <mailto:ehsan.akhgari@gmail.**com <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>     I also believe that it's damaging to the Web for an engine to ship a
>>     prefixed implementation of another engine, since doing that has the
>>     potential of setting that into stone for an extended period of time,
>>     once web developers realize that their content using
>>     webkitAudioContext suddenly starts to work in Firefox without
>>     modifications.
>>
>> If we require Web developers to make major modifications to work with
>> the unprefixed AudioContext, then for many of them it becomes easier to
>> just tell their users to use Chrome.
>>

> Isn't this what script patches (like Chris' monkeypatch) –and script
> libraries in general– are for?

Yes, but you can't monkeypatch around some issues, like synchronous audio
decoding.

I've always seen Mozilla as a browser vendor that is committed to making
> the Web better for users and for developers, and carrying over prefixes and
> alternate names is decidedly harmful,

Totally true.

> so I'm surprised to hear you take this position.

Over the years I've become less patient with holding out to fix the Web
while other vendors profit from forging ahead. In many cases, holding out
didn't make much difference in the end.

What sort of education/evangelism efforts would convince you that this
> isn't necessary? What sites are using webkitAudioContext? Who has filed
> bugs or reports about lack of support in Firefox?

A few bugs have been filed, but we haven't solicited testing of our
implementation yet.

Just for kicks I Googled for "Web Audio demo", visited the first page, and
picked one random demo link:
http://webaudiodemos.appspot.com/midi-synth/index.html
function initAudio() {
  try {
    audioContext = new webkitAudioContext();
  }
  catch(e) {
    alert('Web Audio API is not supported in this browser');
  }
Honestly, the very first thing I tried. Not encouraging.

OK, it's the smallest possible sample size. Someone else who cares about
the Web should try something more systematic.

Jtehsauts tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy Mdaon yhoaus eanuttehrotraiitny eovni le
atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o Whhei csha iids teoa
stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d 'mYaonu,r "sGients uapr,e tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm
aotr atnod sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t" uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n? gBoutt uIp waanndt
wyeonut thoo mken.o w