Re: Resolution to republish MSP as a note

Citerar Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Jussi Kalliokoski <
> jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2) Can you elaborate on how the performance can be "at least"
> equaled? I don't see how you expect to get significantly better
> performance than
> natively-implemented code doing DSP operations on a separate high-priority
> thread.

Actually, that's not how I read it - not sure what Jussi meant - but
anyway, I can imagine some cases where you'd actually get better
performance with a custom node, if:

- You have a native implementation of the DSP API (i.e. the custom
code should be about as fast as the corresponding native nodes when
doing the same tasks).
- You can bunch together a number of native nodes into a single custom
node (i.e. less routing/mixing overhead).
- You can optimize/eliminate some operations, since you have more
freedom to deal with data/operations as you wish, without being
confined to the routing interfaces of audio nodes.

Now, this is purely speculation, since I have no concrete examples of
such cases. I just know from experience that low-level usually offers
more optimization opportunities than high-level (e.g. assembler vs.
C++), so I'm just pointing at the possibilities here.

In general, and especially for common operations, my bet would be that
native nodes will be faster than custom nodes.

/Marcus