Re: Thoughts about the AudioPanner

From: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:00:44 -0700
To: Peter van der Noord <peterdunord@gmail.com>
Cc: public-audio@w3.org
"Panning" - as in stereo panning - isn't a clear-cut in a 5.1 surround
sound system.  If you really do just want to control volume level, you
could (via splitter/gain nodes/merger), but you'll miss the aural placement.

The current AudioPanner is actually quite easy to use as just a simple
stereo panner - in fact, I have a slide about that in my I/O talk on Web
Audio: http://webaudio-io2012.appspot.com/#40:

var panner = audioContext.createPanner();

// default to straight ahead
panner.setPosition(0.0, 1.0, 0.0);

// remember, 0.0 is straight ahead: negative=left, positive=right
panner.setPosition( newPanningPosition, 1.0, 0.0 );