Re: Use-case for audio/video track mixing with ducking effect

On 29/02/2012 23:41, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> The MediaStreams Processing document had a scenario which I think isn't
> covered by the existing use-cases in the wiki: "Play video with
> processing effects mixing in out-of-band audio tracks (in sync) (e.g.
> mixing in an audio commentary with audio ducking)"

Thanks for raising this, I believe you are right. We did go through the
"heap" of all our sources of use cases and were due to review a few open
questions, including this.

See: http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/track/actions/28
Chris wrote: “There was a requirement to "Seamlessly switch from one
input stream to another (e.g. adaptive streaming)" which I think is out
of scope for this group. ”

> A very common example of this is DVD commentary tracks.

Indeed, and not just commentary tracks. The BBC for instance is
providing audio description for a number of its programmes, and the
ability to start the audio description track in sync with the specific
video timing, mix the two tracks and ideally duck the main audio track
when the description track is "speaking" are realistic scenario.

> A browser-oriented use-case could be: "User wants to play a video from a
> Web site, with a third-party commentary track downloaded from another site."

Likewise for a number of multilingual content, where you could want to
keep the original sound from an interview and have the dubbing track on
top, with an appropriate amount of ducking.

If I may deconstruct the issue here, could we say that this use case
illustrates the need for:

* Mixing sources
* Ducking
* Syncing sources/streams with other timed media and events

Anything I forgot?

I'd love to see demos of implementing this with the web audio API, and
the approaches explained on the spec differences doc.

Olivier