RE: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

From: Tom White \(MMA\) <lists@midi.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:21:23 -0800
To: "'Chris Wilson'" <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: "'Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com'" <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>, "'Joseph Berkovitz'" <joe@noteflight.com>, "'Robin Berjon'" <robin@berjon.com>, <public-audio@w3.org>, "'Dom Hazael-Massieux'" <dom@w3.org>, <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
Chris,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Tom White (MMA) <lists@midi.org> wrote:

all the other major browsers ship on OSX (and many on Linux, etc), where
they couldn't rely on an SMF/GM component being available.

Right... the GM component (synth) is available, just not the SMF component
(file player). (Just want to be clear about that.)
So if I was in a problem-solving mode, I'd be looking for some way to get
the SMF file-player code into browsers, if not into OSX and Linux
distributions themselves.

The GM (synth) component doesn't seem to be available in an easy
programmable form (e.g. as a MIDI device) on OSX (or Android, for that
matter).
Obviously, if we have the right MIDI API, a Javascript synth could install
itself in a background process and create a virtual instrument.  I don't
think I've seen any JS-implemented GM synths yet...  :)

I don't know what an "easy programmable form" is, as I am not a
programmer... but my understanding is that on OSX the DLSsynth is available
to any Audio Unit Host, so I guess the browser "just" has to be an Audio
Unit Host... whether that is "easy" or not I don't know.

If everyone here understands what synths and SMF file players exist on what
platforms and how to access them, and believes there is little value in
leveraging what is there, then I can accept that.
I'm just trying to make sure we all know what already exists.

- TW