Re: Reviewing the Web Audio API (from webrtc)

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing you're talking about a DVR-like scenario where you can pause
> a live video-stream from WebRTC?  In this case, it seems like it would make
> sense to have the pause() method be in the MediaStream API very similar to
> how we have a pause() method in HTMLMediaElement.  I'm not sure that the
> WebRTC group has considered that, but it seems like it could be a useful
> addition to their API.  If they add this method to MediaStream, then
> the "shifting a track forward in time" strategy I describe above could be
> used if the MediaStream has been paused, because the audio and video data
> will have been buffered/stored.

Yeah, you can restore synchronization, but what about the echoes having
been lost/dropped, since Web Audio cannot pause?

I also read this:
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webaudio/fieldrunners/
It seems that the ability to pause processed audio streams is intuitive for
authors, matches media elements, will match MediaStreams, and would be
useful.

If we do allow pausing a MediaStream, then we'll have to be careful to
> specify what the maximum pause time would be, since the pausing would
> presumably be implemented by buffering in memory for a short time, then
> recording to disk.  On my DVR at home, sometimes I pause live TV and forget
> about it (and go off to do something else around the house), then after
> about an hour the DVR automatically un-pauses the stream since it's
> buffered too much data to disk...

We already handle that for <video> elements reading from streaming sources.

than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]