Re: Test harness action items

Hey Bryan.

Since you state this is a quick question, I'll start with a quick
answer: The result should be the same and there is no need for two test
cases for "listbox orientation unspecified."

If that's all you need to know, feel free to stop reading. <smiles> On
the other hand, if you're convinced there do need to be two tests read on.

Below you provide two versions of the test, one with the tabindex=0 on
the listbox itself; the other with the tabindex=0 on the option element.
Here's my first question: What difference does that make to whether or
not "vertical" is exposed on a listbox element when the value of
aria-orientation has not been specified by the author?

You then state:

> Both methods are valid however the element that the AT interfaces with
> are different.

Fair enough. But we're not testing what ATs do or what the user
experience is. We are testing that if an AT wants to know the
orientation of the listbox, it can get it. If focus is on the listbox,
the AT just needs to ask for the orientation. If focus is on the option,
the AT needs to ascend the accessibility tree until it finds the
ancestor that is the listbox. Having done so, the AT can then ask for
the orientation.

There is nothing in the ARIA spec or the Core AAM that says that user
agents must expose the listbox orientation on the option children. And I
can think of no reason why a user agent would take focus or user
interaction into account when exposing the orientation of a listbox. Is
there one?

Where additional test cases may be called for, with respect to user
interaction and authoring, are in my opinion limited to the following:

1. The assertions are related to focus and selection.

2. There's something about the authoring which might cause the element
   which is being tested to not be included in the accessibility tree.

With respect to the first, note that I said assertions; not markup. The
assertion that, given a listbox without a value for aria-orientation,
user agents expose vertical orientation has nothing to do with focus or
selection. Sure, listboxes have focus- and selection-related aspects to
them, but we're testing orientation. And orientation is neither focus
nor selection, and changes to focus and selection surely will not result
in changes to orientation. (Right?)

With respect to the second, that sort of thing results from getting an
unexpected result during testing, scratching your head, and digging
further into the problem. For a real, concrete example, see one I
created, complete with explanation and bug filed:
https://www.w3.org/wiki/ARIA_1.1_Testable_Statements#cell_aria-colspan_2_on_td_html_colspan_3_with_headers_and_border.

I hope, if you read this far, I've answered all your questions. Thanks
again for your help with this stuff!
--joanie