RE: 7 Day Call for Consensus March 17, 2016 ARIA Working Group Resolutions

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 11:10 AM

As well, it's not just the audio output: you may believe that it is a password input (because the role told you so), but unless you have 100% faith that the field is also being obscured, what then? I simply find this troubling, that an author can make a declaration about a property of a widget, declarations around security and privacy, and we do not appear to have any mechanical way of enforcing that declaration. It is my belief that it weakens any existing trust non-sighted users may already have when dealing with password inputs.

There is no mechanical way of enforcing any user interface behavior of author-supplied widgets. This is true in general, not just in the particular case you’re discussing.

I think Joanie has written appropriate provisions into the draft so that screen readers will report what is actually presented in the field as the user enters text; and this is the best we can do to preserve security here.

Thank you for your compliance.