Re: 7 Day Call for Consensus March 17, 2016 ARIA Working Group Resolutions

On 2016-04-01 3:11 PM, Rich Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> The problem needs to be addressed at the AT. If the AT speaks the
> actual rendered characters vs. either the echo’d text or the star star
> star issue then the user will immediately know whether the author has
> NOT obscured the te

This is stated in latest proposed text:
"Presenting the rendered characters ensures that all users receive the
same information, including notification when the value is being entered
into an unobscured password field."[1]

The reason is because the user agent exposes the rendered text in the
accessibility tree.  That is, if the text is rendered on the screen as a
string of asterisks, then the text that appears in the accessibility API
is a string of asterisks.  If the text is rendered as plain text, then
the accessibility API text is the same plain text.

There is an implied user agent MUST here:  User agents MUST expose the
rendered text through the accessibility API.

Secondly, a nit:  "unobscured" is not a word.  I suggest "plain text" or
"clear text" instead.

[1] https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/password-role/aria/aria.html#password
last sentence of third paragraph.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                 - C. Carter -