Re: Updated Schema Architypes Straw Man Proposal

On 17 May 2017 at 20:30, Roke, Elizabeth Russey <erussey@emory.edu> wrote:

> There’s a group of us working through the strawman here in the US

Great to hear!

> and we had a question about dates.  We’d like to have separate properties
> for the start date of the collection and the end date of an archival object
> rather than recording a string in temporalCoverage.

temporalCoverage <http://schema.org/temporalCoverage> can take DateTime and
URL as values in addition to a String.  Also as ArchiveCollection is a
sub-type of Collection, a sub-type of CreativeWork, you have three
properties in addition to *temporalCoverage* that can help:  *dateCreated*,
*dateModified*, *datePublished.*

We noticed that similar properties are available on CreativeWorkSeries.  We
> realize that ISO8601 allows us to record date ranges, but because archival
> management systems such as AToM allows us to record different types of
> dates, it may be difficult to consistently translate that data to and from
> the unified schema property.

I understand however the potential need for startDate & endDate, presumably
reflecting for example a collection of things about 18th Century fashion
that was created in a fixed period in the 1950s.   Do others concur?

> For what it’s worth, we are currently working on testing out the
> architypes model for both agent and collection level records, paying
> particular attention to DACS/ISAAR-CPF/ISAD(G) standards.  I should have
> more feedback in the next couple of weeks.

A great test - looking forward to the feedback

~Richard.