Re: ArchiveCollection Properties

> I was thinking along the lines more of “By appointment only on weekdays”

Sorry Richard...thinking of that kind of information for which property? For ‘Access conditions’? Or as your definition of “use’ in this case?   I agree that this would be suitable content for this property:

AccessConditions = relates to actually accessing the content - so ‘open for consultation’, ‘parts of the collection are closed for data protection issues’, ‘open by appointment’.

> >itemDescription

> So what would such a link normally resolve to?

I may be confusing the issue on this one. A description of an archive may exist online, and it may provide a link within it to the same descriptive content, or more likely a fuller description, that is typically a PDF or Word document or even an Excel spreadsheet. So if you just mean ‘link to a fuller description’ (of some sort) then this is appropriate.

> This is where reusing properties does get confusing.  partOf would be used to indicate that an item was part of a collection.  It may be used to say that a Collection is part of a collection of collections.  More likely that the institution would be identified as the provider of the collection.

Yes, OK, I get that.

> In the UK its not normal practice to make the actual physical location known. I’m not sure about practices in other countries, but its seen as a security issue so its usually internal only.
>
> Hopefully our extension will be applicable to all sorts of archives from web archives to personal collections.  As all properties in Schema.org are optional, I would be inclined to keep it in for now.

yes, sure, it may be appropriate in some circumstances.

> You would use creator and/or author as an when appropriate, I would suggest a creator of an ArchiveCollection.

Yes, I agree that’s best.