Re: ArchiveCollection Properties

Comments inline…

On 11 April 2017 at 14:51, Jane Stevenson <Jane.Stevenson@jisc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I am definitely keen now to progress this through to having some level of
> schema.org on the Hub, so good to be progressing the discussions. It is
> just a case of finding the time, but now we have our new service up and
> running, I think its a good time!
>
> >       • accessAndUse
> > I agree the term name may be a little confusing - maybe a rename to
> something like accessConditions
>
> Yes, I think that works, as it is ‘Conditions governing Access’  in
> ISAD(G).

If it was still felt to be needed I would suggest an appropriate name might
be ‘accessContions’

> > I would not link that with other concepts such as copyright, however.
> If the item was a CreativeWork of some type with copyright attached, a book
> for example, it would be defined as a schema:Book and a schema:ArchiveItem
> providing the relevant properties to describe the copyright.
>
> Yes, but that’s partly the point - if it stays as ‘accessAndUse’ people
> may interpret it as ‘Conditions Governing Use’, which, as you say,  may be
> more appropriately described elsewhere.

I was thinking along the lines more of “By appointment only on weekdays”

> > • itemDescription
> > If it is the case that it is not common to provide a link to a
> descriptive document. This property could be dropped.
>
> A link to a whole description is common, but its rare to simply have a
> document with the descriptive content. I don’t think we’ve ever had an
> example of this. You might get something like an online PDF of the whole
> thing (title, date, extent, language, scope and content, etc)  but I’m not
> sure what is meant by "A document describing the item and/or its curation,
> history, etc.”

So what would such a link normally resolve to?

> > • itemLocation
> > This as proposed was intended to describe the current location of the
> item itself, which may or may not be the archive.  The relationship with
> the archive/responsible institution would be obtained via the
> ArchiveCollection it is defined as being partOf.
>
> Ah, OK. So ‘partOf’ would be used to say: ArchiveCollection X is partOf
> the holdings of Institution Y.  I thought ItemLocation must mean the
> repository because it is related to ‘Place’.

This is where reusing properties *does* get confusing.  partOf would be
used to indicate that an item was part of a collection.  It may be used to
say that a Collection is part of a collection of collections.  More likely
that the institution would be identified as the provider of the collection.

> In the UK its not normal practice to make the actual physical location
> known. I’m not sure about practices in other countries, but its seen as a
> security issue so its usually internal only.

Hopefully our extension will be applicable to all sorts of archives from
web archives to personal collections.  As all properties in Schema.org are
optional, I would be inclined to keep it in for now.

> > • Identifier - since this proposal identifier has been added as a
> property to Thing in Schema.org so is available to all types.
>
> Ah good - it isn’t in the ArchiveCollection page at the mo, so I didn’t
> realise that.

http://schema.org/identifier

The current proposal is based on a previous version of Schema - I’ll bring
it up to date when we do any proposal updates.

> > • Size/extent - these are properties that would be available from other
> type(s) associated with the description of an item, either schema:Product
> or a subtype of schema:CreativeWork.
>
> OK, that’s good - I’ll take a look.
>
> > • Creator - would be available from the other type(s) associated with
> the description schema:CreativeWork or its subtypes. As you describe.  I’m
> not clear what the difference is between the creator of an item and the
> archival creator (of an item) is.  Or are you talking about the creator of
> the ArchiveCollection
>
> The defintion of ‘creator’ in schema.org is:
>
> "The creator/author of this CreativeWork. This is the same as the Author
> property for CreativeWork.”
>
> I’m not sure, but just wondering if it is appropriate to use this for the
> person/organisation that accumulated the archive - they did ‘create’ the
> archive collection, but they didn’t necessarily ‘author' any of it.  I
> think for the sake of convenience the answer is that we should use it, but
> I was just raising it as a question to consider.

You would use creator and/or author as an when appropriate, I would suggest
a creator of an ArchiveCollection.