Re: Authorization vs. Authentication (was Re: Accountability in AC4CSR)

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, John Panzer wrote:
>
>> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> The rationale is really as simple as this: browser vendors don't want
>>> to enable a distributed user credentials search.
>>>
>> Which could be accomplished by banning Authorization: Basic and
>> Authorization: Digest only.
>>

> Unless there's some other scheme in use that's also vulnerable.

Sure, but one could make the same argument about nonstandard schemes for
any header and any query parameter.

> It also wouldn't help in general with XMLHttpRequest, since that blocks
> the Authorization: header because it can get set by the user agent due to
> the user being authenticated with that site.

For non-CSR XHR, that's not the case in practice or in proposed spec,
right? "UAs /MUST/ set the |Authorization| header according to the
values passed to the |open()
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/#dfn-open>| method
(but /MUST/ allow calls to |setRequestHeader()
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/#dfn-setrequestheader>|
to append values to it).
--http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/

So technically it wouldn't be blocked, except of course every header is
blocked which is a separate topic on another thread.

This would only really be useful though if Authorization: is allowed to
convey authorization in addition to authentication.  Since is used for
authorization in addition to authentication today in practice (AuthSub,
Amazon AWS, OAuth), I'm worried there's a mismatch between what's done
in the field and what the specification calls for, which is resulting in
conflicts.

John