Re: Authorization vs. Authentication (was Re: Accountability in AC4CSR)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, John Panzer wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, John Panzer wrote:
> >
> > > Right, I'm not talking about Access-Control, I'm talking about
> > > general HTTP auth[nz].  I don't understand the rationale for
> > > AC4CSR's policies with regard to the Authorization: header
> >
> > The rationale is really as simple as this: browser vendors don't want
> > to enable a distributed user credentials search.
>
> Which could be accomplished by banning Authorization: Basic and
> Authorization: Digest only.

Unless there's some other scheme in use that's also vulnerable.

It also wouldn't help in general with XMLHttpRequest, since that blocks
the Authorization: header because it can get set by the user agent due to
the user being authenticated with that site.