Re: [ ACTION-107] Updating version list identifier algorithm

From: Kai Hendry <kai.hendry@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:15:52 +0100
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, "Arve Bersvendsen" <arveb@opera.com>, "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com>, public-appformats@w3.org

Hey guys,

Just thought I might bring to your attention Debian's fairly mature
way of handling versions.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

You can play with it on a Debian system like so:

monty:~% dpkg --compare-versions 1.10.0 gt 1.2.0 && echo true
true

On 18/09/2007, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> If you do parse the version numbers, then you run into the problem that if
> someone accidentally pushes a really high version number like
> version="110" instead of "1.1.0", then they are forever forced to have
> their version be higher than that so that everyone can upgrade. It also
> means that if a serious regression is found in a new widget version,
> authors can't just immediately downgrade, they have to go and repackage
> the widget with a new version number and then push that.

In those accidental cases Debian uses an epoch. So a subsequent update
to a mistake like "110" is "1:1.1.1"

monty:~% dpkg --compare-versions 110 lt 1:1.1.1 && echo true
true

Best wishes,