Re: [AC] domain matching

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:02:22 -0300
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Another issue that Microsoft raised and Thomas wasn't sure about either
> is the domain matching. Specifically the wildcard matching. Currently a
> wildcard matches a single label and nothing more. This means that
> foo.bar.com doesn't match *.com and does match *.*.com. This allows for
> things like foo.*.bar.com as well, because if the wildcard could match
> an arbitrary number of labels here the algorithm for matching would
> become quite complex and it's not clear that actually does what you'd want.
>
> The other idea is only allowing the wildcard at the start. This implies
> that foo.bar.com matches *.com and that foo.*.bar.com would be illegal
> (the wildcard can only appear at the start).
>
> Input welcome.

I think patterns like *.foo.com, where * matches multiple levels, will
be far more common than patterns like bar.*.foo.com. In fact, I think
the latter would add very little value whereas the former is critical if
we want wildcard matching at all.

In general I think 95% of the users of AC will simply use allow="*", so
I think in general we should keep things simple as everything beyond
that will have a much lower cost/benefit ratio.

Best Regards,
Jonas Sicking