Re: [XBL] Loading External Resources

On 1/9/07, Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr> wrote:

>> As far as I can tell, the statement in the XBL spec is the same as in the
>> SVG spec.
>
> The second sentence is wrong for SVG documents. The SVG specification
> explains the opposite in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/linking.html#externalReferences.
> "The conceptual model is that each resource document is loaded only once;
> if the same resource document is referenced multiple times directly or
> indirectly by the same primary document, that resource document is only
> retrieved and processed one time."

That's not the opposite of what XBL says. That's exactly what XBL
says. Unless I made a mistake in the XBL spec, at any rate. Which is
the sentence in the XBL spec that disagrees with this?

> Actually, I think I was wrong when I asked that. I'll explain why. The term
> "already been loaded" appears three times in the specification and every
> time about "binding documents". This is correct because the XBL spec cannot
> specify how resources are handled (shared or not) by other languages. So I
> would propose to not use the word 'resource' but instead use 'binding
> document' in that whole section and remove the sentence "Such resource
> sharing must be limited to resources loaded by a document, its binding
> documents, its scripts, and its style sheets."

Mostly changed. I left the sentence you wanted to remove because it's
important to note the scope of the sharing.

> The specification says: "For example, if a document uses a binding
> document, and its style sheets use that binding document, the same binding
> document instance will be used for both cases. However, if that document
> contains an iframe whose document uses the same binding document, a new
> instance will be used: the binding document instance from the outer document
> is not reused."

Right, that's because the two documents there are both (in SVG terms)
"primary documents".

> So in the general case (used in style sheets, referenced with PI, ...) the
> Document is reused but when it is referenced inside an iframe it is not.
> That looks like an exception. But I may understand that you mean that when a
> presentation is made of multiple documents being rendered independently
> (like in Compound Document by Reference (html:iframe, svg:foreignObject,
> html:object)), then they do not share the same set of bindings. Am I correct
> ?

Yes, I think so.

--
Ian Hickson