Re: [XBL] Loading and Running Scripts

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Cyril Concolato wrote:

>> In Section 3.2 "Loading and Running Scripts", if author must not do
>> what the example shows, why not simply forbidding the use of script
>> elements inside script elements ?
>
> It is already forbidden.
>
> This paragraph from Section 3.2, seems to imply it's not.
>
> "For non-XML languages, if the content is inline, UAs must concatenate
> all the textual contents of text and CDATA child nodes, and must ignore
> any other, non-text nodes (such as elements and comments) along with all
> their children. All descendant elements must be processed, though,
> according to their semantics, before the XBL script block itself is
> executed."

You are confusing the requirements on authors and the requirements on
implementors. It is forbidden, but the above paragraph describes what a UA
should do when it happens.

> Additioally, the presence of the example in the specifcation goes it
> this sense. Since you say the intent is that it is forbidden, my
> suggestions are: remove the example or replace it with a meaningful one
> and rephrase "All descendant elements must be processed, though,
> according to their semantics, before the XBL script block itself is
> executed."

The example is specifically demonstrating what the UA must do with that
non-conforming content. I can't make it conforming, because then it
wouldn't be showing the error handling rules.

I've tried making it more obvious that the example is invalid.