Re: [XBL] Matching Pseudo-Elements

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> 4.7.3 Matching Pseudo-Elements
>
>   These pseudo-element descriptions are purely advisory, and while
>   authors are encouraged to use them for their predefined roles, it is
>   valid to use them for other purposes.
>
> This seems to dilute the purpose of the pseudo-elements.  If general
> purpose pseudo-elements are intended to be allowed, arbitrary names
> should be valid.  These pseudo-element names may as well be called
> pseudo1-pseudo5 as they stand.

Pseudo-elements are a concept from CSS, where they are currently defined
and are finite. Maybe in a future version of CSS we could have
parameterised pseudos, but it seems simpler for now to have the limited
subset currently available.

In either case, this would be an issue for CSS, not XBL. XBL is merely
using what CSS makes available.

> The example in this section has:
>
>   button.save-button::icon {
>     content: url(icons/save.png);
>   }
>
> but the content property applies only to the :before and :after
> pseudo-elements accorindg to CSS 2.1.

In CSS3 'content' applies to everything.

Cheers,