Re: widget namespace

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:18:59 +0200
To: "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Cc: "Jon Ferraiolo" <jferrai@us.ibm.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>, "Arthur Barstow" <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>

On Thursday, August 30, 2007, 12:16:33 AM, Marcos wrote:

MC> HI Chris,

>> JF>  To me, it is glaringly obvious that a standards organization
>> JF> should leverage whatever tools are available to ensure that the
>> JF> technologies it defines are robust and extensible. In the realm of
>> JF> angle-bracket markup languages, the relevant tools are XML
>> JF> namespaces along with a proper schema definition using XML Schema
>> JF> or RelaxNG.

>> I agree that this (should be) obvious.

>> Please put the widget xml in a namespace.  A RelaxNG grammar for it
>> would also be highly desirable.

MC> Thank you for your input. The namespace is now back in the spec.

Excellent. That satisfies my comment.

MC> Unless Anne can make a convincing case here for taking it out again, I
MC> think this matter should now be closed.

MC> If anyone else has any arguments for or against a namespace, please
MC> send them in regardless.

MC> We will likely produce a RelaxNG  schema down the track, but it is not
MC> a priority right now. I'll ask Art to please record the creation as
MC> some sort of schema as an issue or action in the tracker so it's not
MC> forgotten about.

Thanks, appreciated.

The 'Contexts in which this element may be used:' and 'Content model:' as an informal schema look to be a good basis for starting an RNG schema.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG