Re: widget namespace

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:42:48 +0200
To: Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>, <public-appformats-request@w3.org>, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 6:23:01 PM, Jon wrote:

JF>  In answer to your question about whether anyone feels strongly
JF> about the namespace issue, I feel strongly that any new grammar
JF> defined by W3C should sit on top of a foundation of XML namespaces
JF> and would recommend to my A/C rep to vote "no" against any
JF> specifications that defined a new language that did not do so.

I agree with Jon.  Furthermore, I note that the TAG does too - see
WebArch:

Good practice: Namespace adoption

  A specification that establishes an XML vocabulary SHOULD place all
  element names and global attribute names in a namespace.

  http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#xml-namespaces

JF>  To me, it is glaringly obvious that a standards organization
JF> should leverage whatever tools are available to ensure that the
JF> technologies it defines are robust and extensible. In the realm of
JF> angle-bracket markup languages, the relevant tools are XML
JF> namespaces along with a proper schema definition using XML Schema
JF> or RelaxNG.

I agree that this (should be) obvious.

Please put the widget xml in a namespace.  A RelaxNG grammar for it
would also be highly desirable.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead