Re: XHTML and MIME

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:19:34 +0100
To: public-appformats@w3.org, www-forms@w3.org

Hi Anne,

>   5. "XML parsing failed: syntax error (Line: 8, Character: 0)" in Opera;

That's interesting...does failing to parse properly necessarily have
to prevent rendering?

In Sidewinder we validate the XHTML against the XML schemas in one
thread, and do some processing on the document before passing it to a
renderer in another thread. (Current renderers are IE and Gecko.) This
means that you'll always see something. We did it this way for two
reasons; firstly, because most of the content that claims to be XHTML
is actually invalid, so there wouldn't be a lot to see! And secondly,
because we felt that the ability to know whether something was valid
or invalid was most probably something that authors and developers
wanted, but most likely means little to an end user.

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck