Rights on the annotation and annotation body

Now that the IDPF and W3C are together, there might be some expertise
available for those questions.

The rights in the annotation ought to belong to the creator of the
annotation, but it's an interesting question whether the rights in the
annotated target "go with" the rights in the annotation.

In the analog world, the two would go together, and if the annotator
were famous, you'd have a collectible.  In the digital world, if the "fair
use" dodge applies, you'd just have a copy that anyone could copy and
whose annotations could be annotated.

Which is where an adapted use of the DOI might offer a social construct
worth more than a sneer. Consultation with the Linked Content Coalition
might help.
http://www.linkedcontentcoalition.org/phocadownload/LCC%20Manifesto%20and%20Ten%20Targets%20v1%200.pdf
Bob
Kahn is behind that.