Re: New slides on Cognitive AI

forgot to say:
although yes it is true that the have developed separately , AI and
intelligent systems in general
is  modelled on human cognition - from concepts to language to semantic
networks
etc- because human cognition is the most advance model of explicit
cognition (intelligence) we know of
(afaik)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:11 PM Paola Di Maio <paoladimaio10@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah, I understand what you mean
>
>   Much of the work on AI has very little connection to the cognitive
> sciences and has been conducted as a separate discipline with very little
> contact between the respective communities,
>

> The reason there could be partly historical, and partly due to AI becoming
> constrained and segregated  by mathematics and hard Computer science
> the history of AI began in the fifties, or a few decades before (
> while Cognitive Science started to become formalized in the seventies
>
> Yes, I had to build my own bewildering map of intelligence (not shared yet)
> as it seems to be everywhere in some form, yet we are still trying to
> define it :-)
>

>> Much of the work on AI has very little connection to the cognitive
>> sciences and has been conducted as a separate discipline with very little
>> contact between the respective communities, e.g. work on search, formal
>> logic, natural language, robotics, and even artificial neural networks,
>> e.g. contrast the work on deep learning with that on computational models
>> for neuroscience by Chris Eliasmith.
>>

>> PDM
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM Paul Alagna <pjalagna@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All;
>>> Paola asked
>>> <<aren't all AI systems cognitive?>> This got me thinking about what a
>>> cognitive system is and what is its relationship to AI. So I grabbed
>>> websters for a definition:
>>> ====
>>> the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding
>>> through thought, experience, and the senses.
>>> ====
>>> and began to break down each fragment into data science/AI terms:
>>>
>>> the mental action or process (lets go with processes)
>>> of acquiring (==the input of and storing of)
>>> knowledge(==information?) and
>>> understanding(==being able to use? IE having actions of
>>> usage)OR(==having a correct usage)