Re: New slides on Cognitive AI

> On 13 Jan 2020, at 05:28, Paola Di Maio <paoladimaio10@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Paul and Dave
>
> (Paul: thanks for joining!  good to see new people jump in the discussion.
> and thanks for offering some analysis of the question)
> I  distinguish between
>  animal intelligence (vs say, plant intelligence)
> and animal with brain vs animal without brain
>
> I say this because biological intelligence sounds like animals/humans are non biological
> which in my view, would be wrong

Curious that you percent it that way.

> In sum Dave, all the AI I have ever studied is cognitive AI, from the day the term was coined up to our days. Do you know of any book, conference or course of study that looks at intelligence
> without brain ONLY?
> Even just to talk about intelligence without brain, we as human must use
> cognitive intelligence (concepts, language etc)
> This is to say that non cognitive AI may exist in nature (in plants and animals without brain)
> but all the AI has field of study in CS, from the beginning is Cognitive
> but please correct me otherwise

Much of the work on AI has very little connection to the cognitive sciences and has been conducted as a separate discipline with very little contact between the respective communities, e.g. work on search, formal logic, natural language, robotics, and even artificial neural networks, e.g. contrast the work on deep learning with that on computational models for neuroscience by Chris Eliasmith.