Re: DRAFT (Late) Feedback for NIST on the AI Standards Workshop

The US AI plan is now available in StratML format at
http://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#USLAI Here are some comments that
are patently obvious, at least to me:

    With reference to Goal 2: Trustworthiness
    <http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/USLAIwStyle.xml#_1f31f0fc-c831-11e9-b146-73880edd4871>,
    in groups exceeding Dunbar's Number, President Reagan's admonition
    applies:  Trust but verify.  U.S. federal agencies can hardly be
    deemed trustworthy if they fail to comply with the very law that
    requires them to report their performance in open, standard,
    machine-readable format.  To do so would be a fools errand, i.e.,
    choosing to remain blissfully ignorant.  While that may be prudent
    in dictatorships, it would belie the avowed nature of the "land of
    the free and the home of the brave."

    Objective 2.2: Performance Metrics & Data Sets
    <http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/USLAIwStyle.xml#_1f31f21e-c831-11e9-b146-73880edd4871>
    points in the right direction but should also note that metrics and
    data sets should be published in open, standard, machine-readable
    formats.

    Goal 3: Partnerships
    <http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/USLAIwStyle.xml#_1f31f3e0-c831-11e9-b146-73880edd4871>
    would be well served if each of the prospective partners were to
    render their own plans in StratML format and apply the
    stratml:Relationship elements to strategically align,
    cross-reference, and link their common and complementary objectives
    to each other.

    Likewise Goal 4: International Engagement
    <http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/USLAIwStyle.xml#_1f31f8e0-c831-11e9-b146-73880edd4871>
    would be well served if nations with common values were to engage
    each other as partners via StratML-enabled services.

    Doing so would semi-automatically address Objective 4.3
    <http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/USLAIwStyle.xml#_1f31fb56-c831-11e9-b146-73880edd4871>
    by enabling value-added intermediaries to track and report progress
    on the development of AI standards.

    With reference to Objective 1.1: Standards Coordinator
    <http://stratml.us/carmel/iso/USLAIwStyle.xml#_1f31edbe-c831-11e9-b146-73880edd4871>,
    it may be fine to appoint one but not without giving her the
    StratML-enabled tools to do her job.  The proliferation of CXOs
    calls to mind the politically incorrect phrase "too many chiefs and
    not enough Indians." Creating scapegoats is an all-too-common bad
    practice of governance.  No one can succeed in an environment fails
    to support the necessary means.  Another relevant truism is that the
    mission of a good manager is to work herself out of a job.

Just some thoughts ... for whatever they may be worth.

Owen