Re: ETSI candidate to ICANN Committee Internationalized Domain Names

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20011026144610.024b8de0@telefonica.es>, azucena.hernande
z@POP3.TELEFONICA.ES writes:
>Dear PSO PC colleagues,
>
>On behalf of ETSI, I have the pleasure to inform you that Mr Roberto
>Laorden is willing to participate in the newly created ICANN Committee on
>Internationalized Domains Names.
>
>You may remember that Mr Laorden was also presented by ETSI in July to take
>part on the ICANN group for Evaluation of the new gTLDs. He is active in
>this group.
>
>Whilst I sent his CV last July, I send it again in case you want to check it.
>
>I look forward to getting your support for his nomination.
>Until soon,
>Azucena.
>
>CV of Mr. ROBERTO LAORDEN:
>
>* Education:
>- Degree in Law from the University of Deusto (Spain) in 1991
>- Degree in Economics from the University of Deusto in 1991
>- MBA in Telecommunication Business from the Institute of Enterprises of
>Madrid (Spain) in 1992
>* Professional experience:
>- From 1999 to now: Director of Interdomain (Spanish Registrar . Group
>Telefónica). He has the overall responsibility and has been directly
>involved in the elaboration of the technical and legal documentation to get
>the accreditation from ICANN, Verisign (for .com, .org. ,net and the
>multilingual trials), Afilias (.info) and Neulevel (.biz). Overall
>responsibility and direct involvement in the technical design of the
>computer system needed for the registrar-registry communications.
>- From 1993 to 1999: Project Manager in Siemens Spain developing a fully
>computerized system for technical control of the production. He also made
>strategic business plans, definition of new IT systems and investment
>analysis.
>* International positions:
>- From June 2001: member of the Board of CORE (Council of Registrars)
>- From July 2001: member of the ICANN Group on Evaluation of new gTLDs.

I don't know Mr. Laorden, but from his resume his background seems to
be more managerial than technical.  Is that what we want?  Shouldn't
the PSO nominate someone with a strong technical background?  (Such
technical managerial experience as he has seems to be with the DNS itself.
This isn't bad, of course, but experience in the IETF has shown that
the real challenges are with the many applications that use domain
names.

We should decide what we're looking for before we nominate anyone.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com